Ashley's travels '07

Friday, March 02, 2007

March 2

Oh my gosh, I only have 1 more week here! I can't believe it's already almost over. I've had such a great time! As each week seems to do, this week just flew by. We've been continuing on our poetry, and the students have been given a lot of time to create their own poems. Wednesday we started the day off with swimming. When we got back I had them analyze any poem that they wanted to, and then they had to answer questions that I had given them, such as how many syllables in certain lines and finding examples of similes, metaphors, personifications, etc. in their poem that they chose. Wednesday there was an assembly for the P4-7s. Someone from the church in town came to talk about the various camps that they offer. After that we just worked on our Peru projects. Yesterday was another busy day. We did some poetry, had music class, and then worked more on Peru. For maths, we have moved on to volume. It's been a very tricky concept to learn but they are getting there. Because part of the focus with poetry is reciting it, I had them watch a video of poetry being recited and acted out. Many of the poems that were recited the kids knew so that made it interesting for them. During this, some students were chosen to write a letter to Heath Promoting Schools Newsletter in Scotland about our "Shake til Break." This morning it was "Wake 'n Shake" where we do it at the beginning of the day instead right before break. This lets many of the parents that are dropping their children off at school come and participate as well. It's been going great and is so much fun! With the music and the energy it really puts everyone in a good mood. Today everyone came walking into school doing the YMCA! It was great! Then all the P6 and 7's had an assembly for their Golden Time. It's a way that the school awards students for good behavior. Sadly, many of the students recieved red cards (punishments) and weren't recognized for their good behavior this month. After that we had maths. We continued to do volume for a litlte while and about 15 minutes before maths was done, they were given the opportunity to do some "fun" maths and many of them chose to do a symmetry activity. This afternoon was spent doing art and Peru. For Peru, we decided to transform the rest of the wall space with the rainforest, the Amazon River, the Andes Mountains, and various cities in Peru. It was the kids decision to do this and I know it will look great! I hope that most of it gets done before I have to leave because I'm anxious to see what it will look like. For the last half hour of school the kids had Golden Time. During this time, most of the students just continued to work on their Peru projects. 3 of the kids had brought in their guitars and played for us and then I went outside with some of my P7 class and most of the other P7 class and played football (soccer) with them. They've been wanting me to play for a while so I decided I'd try it. I wasn't so great but all the kids helped me out and I even scored a goal. After that, I was the coolest person out there! :) It was fun but I told them that next week for Golden Time we're going to play basketball so they're excited for that.

This weekend is not too busy. Tomorrow I think we may go to Berwick for a couple of hours but then most of the day will be spent packing. I'm going to have my work cut out for me because I've accumulated so much! Sunday Kim and I are going to be making tea (supper) for our host families. We've decided to make Sloppy Joes because they've never heard of it. We're also going to make some puppy chow and let them taste that as well. It should be a good afternoon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home